Wednesday, March 11, 2015

What you’re doing this weekend: What We Do in the Shadows


As I mentioned in my previous post, I’m not a huge fan of the modern comedy. I know a lot of people enjoy these movies for their light-hearted escape from the harshness of reality, and I enjoy the occasional classic as well. That being said, I feel that in the wake of movies like Anchorman (and its sequel), Old School, and even Zoolander that the adult-focused comedy has kind of hit a cycle it may not be able to pop out of. Recent attempts like The Interview and Unfinished Business certainly perpetrate this idea, and I think their weak box office performances is showing the good people that still go to theaters agree.

It turns out that our answer was waiting in the wings, not in the US but in NZ (New Zealand, if you will)!



What We Do in the Shadows is an independently produced vampire mockumentary co-written, co-directed, and co-starring Jemaine Clement of Flight of the Concords fame. Interestingly enough, it was successfully funded through a Kickstarter campaign to start screening in the US.

Even more interesting, it is F*&king hysterical.

I’m not sure if everyone in the theater at the Music Box was drunk or stoned, but my friend Josh and I were roaring right along with them. It’s been awhile since there has been a stand-out Mockumentary style comedy and this plays it so right. Seeing these ancient beings argue about such petty squabbles as who cleans the dishes are acted and scripted so well it feels like you’re right there in the world with them. It’s a self-aware deconstruction of a million different vampire tropes and how those would “realistically” suck (#pun cue the eyes rolling). Having your roommate sketch what you like look before you go out, your victims bleeding all over your furniture, and dealing with the local gang of werewolves all are presented so blasé and mundane for our protagonists it’s absurd. I won’t get into too many specifics here as there is a lot that needs to be unspoiled, and as a huge vampire genre fan myself it was easy to laugh at the ridiculousness of the mythology.

Going in expecting a pretty bare-bones plot, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it held up. I was a little worried that the premise and shtick would get old, but the laughs kept coming throughout the whole movie (and into the credits). I am considering a second viewing already, as there are so many call-backs and subtleties that I’m sure I missed a few.

I could go on about the production itself, but in reality I really don’t have much more to say than go see this movie. It’s sharp, fast paced, and completely unique, again something you don’t see often with modern comedies. During the slow releases of spring, this a movie that you will be thinking of and talking about for weeks.


Final Grade: A


No comments:

Post a Comment