Wednesday, January 21, 2015

50 Miles to Montgomery: Selma














First and foremost: Happy (belated) MLK day! For those who were wondering this is actually celebrating a representation of his birthday, which is actually January 15th. However, since it’s a national holiday and *insert your political, banking, or illuminate opinion here*, we celebrate it on the 3rd Monday in January. Coincidentally, my roommate had…”found” a copy of Selma over the weekend, and we decided it was appropriate to pop it in Sunday evening.

I have to admit I’m not the biggest biopic fan. The last few years have had some massive nods towards this genre (The Kings Speech and Lincoln standing out for me) and these have generally gone by the wayside for me. I’m not a big history buff, so the fact that there is a lot I will miss in the 2.5+ hours plus these kinds of films generally run makes them not jump to the top of my “must see list”. Frankly, when I saw the first trailer for Selma wasn't too fired up for it, almost for these exact reasons. As the Oscar hype swirled around David Oyelowo performance and Ava DuVernay direction, I decided that this would be a good one to break the dry spell.

I first have to say that the two positives above are spot on. Oyelowo has been a phenomenal character actor (I specifically remember him doing a great job in the underrated Jack Reacher), and he clearly steals the show. Interestingly, there are pretty big segments that don’t have him in the forefront, and each time it cuts away you immediately want him back in the picture. He has an understated confidence and power that completely captures your attention on the team. At first I thought it was going to paint him in a perfect light, showing him as a fearless leader without a chink in his armor. Again, I’m no history, but from what I’m heard the movie has a much more realistic portrayal, a man struggling with infidelity and self-doubt. It’s an interesting take on the figure, and you can clearly see Oyelowo put a lot of time and thought into this role. I’m sure fans will comment on Oprah’s character too, but to me she just felt a little stock. Not a bad performance, just nothing ground breaking.

The other performance that really stands out is Tim Roth as the racist and heartless Gov. Wallace. He could have easily turned in a stereotypical “good ole hater boy” role but again comes across as much more subtle. You can see how he could lead the people and authorities in Montgomery (and for that matter across the state of Alabama) on his crusade. It’s a delicate performance that could have easily gone over the top, but again Roth nails it.

I wasn’t familiar with the director before this, but her work here really stands out. The specific scene that draws my memory is the scene of the attack on the bridge. It would have been easy to make this exploitative and over the top, but the great work with the obfuscation of the tear gas makes it seem even more intense. The horses riding in and out of the melee is a pretty scary sight, and the officers with their gas-mask donned almost look like Stormtroopers or something out of World War One.

While the movie excelled on several aspects, it dragged on others. Selma reeeallllyyy takes its time, having long stretches of characters debating about actions or showing the hardships of the time. I understand that it is important to document the time period, but with a movie so focused on a single character it felt that it wondered a little bit from its purpose.

And I think that may be the biggest gripe I have with Selma. Dr. King is such an interesting character you want to see more of his speeches, more of his issues with his wife, more of everything. I think that DuVernay was not necessarily trying to make a MLK biography and was trying to paint a broader picture of racism at the time and location, but I feel that the latter is more well-known and documented than the life and times of MLK. Like the Joker in The Dark Knight, every time King left the screen I was a little sad.

Overall, it’s an interesting take on a massive historical figure and the impact he had on the US. If it was tightened up a little bit and had more of the amazing Oyelowo, it would have been one of the best biopics I’ve seen and maybe one of the best movies of the year. Even with its negatives, it still is worth a view just to see the parts that really shine.

Grade: B


No comments:

Post a Comment