Thursday, May 2, 2013

So Here We Go

Due to the strong response from my brief Movie reviews on Facebook, on top of my resolution to be more "creative" this year, I decided to fire this up and start review some feature films. I'll try to stay current, but to start I'm going to post some "recent" reviews from my Evernote. Let me know what y'all think!

Starting with a movie I saw in January: Django Unchained! *Some Small Spoilers*

Django: Unchained (90/A-):

The review for this movie can be surmised in one line: if you like Quentin Tarantino, you will love this; if you don't, you won't like this. I don't think this one will have the draw that Inglorious Bastards will, as it dives pretty deep into racism and slavery (albeit in Tarantino's Alternative Reality) which is not as generally as well received as "killing Natzis". Jamie Foxx and The Doctor had great chemistry (Shown by Waltz taking home the best supporting actor Oscar-ed), and Waltz was the highlight of the movie. The way he spoke had such an interesting cadence and order of words from his German heritage (both in movie and in real life), it really made you want to listen in. Surprisingly  Leo's character was one of the least interesting and one note, and Samuel Js was way more menacing than him, which on reflection is probably what they were shooting for. 

The biggest problem was the run-time  While it was never a case of checking your watch, there were some serious times that dragged, and the entire candy land part had a lot of different tonal changes that could have been tightened up. It was also pretty obvious how this was going to end up, so the parts that where building up to the big revenge ending really felt like padding.

No comments:

Post a Comment